Skip to main content

I was enchanted...



This is time on my own. 
This is an adventure. 
I’m living in another world,
In the world of nature…
Success or failure means nothing 
I’m living without any demands on me,
I’ve got all my skills,
I’ve got all my energy,
I’m relaxed,
It doesn’t matter
whether I win or lose...
Able to live without critical voices... 


I’m alone… My new home… In nature…

Everybody left but I didn’t feel sad. I’m alone... I don’t have to do anything… Without “have to” or “should do” I don’t know how I'll live… After everybody had gone, I cleaned and tidied up the house. I’m alone…  I listened to the radio but after one hour even the radio was too much for me. I turned it off.… I made a cup of tea… It was very unusual for me because I don’t like coffee or tea but I really wanted to drink a cup of tea while listening to the voice of the wood burner. I felt fantastic. I was free to be confused and be no one...

I was enchanted. I’m alone… I adore my new cottage, of course, but here was something entirely different, where a little effort on foot rewards you with hills, trees, rivers… I’m obsessed with Wales, I crave this lifestyle. There is a feeling that I can hardly put into articulate… Something about the feeling that time is running out; that it’s now or never…

This was the moment I realised that it was necessary to rediscover my authentic self. The world was going to give me permission to be on my own for a while. I hope I’m not wrong about myself.  I can handle everything here alone. No matter. I’m alone… I’m here... I’m breathing the air, and it smells of white musk, orange, and peace…

The sun rests behind the clouds and does not show her light generously. The sky turns dark grey. I was willing to be here when it wasn’t quite perfect yet. I’m alone...  I’m easily upset and frustrated with my new routine or sudden changes to my schedule, like my guest couldn't come here because she is very ill … I got a bit frustrated but I’m learning to adapt and to cope with the adjustments. It’s very useful and helpful to adapt but not easy. I handled today very well but I urged myself to create my practical routines. There is perfect comfort for people with Autism in knowing what will come next; routines are very important in providing a sense of security. My rules always kept me safe. On this day I’m sitting in front of the window. The grey clouds had begun to break up... I’m hearing the birds… The birds are on the tree.. I put bread in front of the window for the birds… Maybe crows will come to my window, who knows….

I don’t want to go out. I don’t want to connect with the other world… Every day I’m waking up at the
same time. I open the window and door for fresh air. Then I light the wood burner and Rayburn. I hoover and clean the kitchen and living room. That takes me over an hour.  I clean upstairs twice a week. When everything is clean in the cottage then I can relax.

I’ve only been for one walk… However, I walk every day in Cardiff.  I don’t want to go out. My memories are kicking…. I am full of memories wanting to come out. I’m so tired of my past. I have to break free from my past… I must drop it all. When my past falls away, I’m in touch with my core. I’m in touch with reality. I’m very well aware that loneliness is not cured by human company. Loneliness is cured by contact with my core.

I woke up, everywhere is white… Snow… I miss snow… Not too much snow but everywhere is covered white…  I don’t know if my road is closed or not. Actually, I don’t care…  I spent all day in my cottage… The weather is getting cold and my wood store is dwindling…  I know I have enough but enough is not enough for my obsessive brain. For me, everything needs to be more in case of an emergency… It’s really hard for me to be rational in this kind of situation.  I easily feel unsafe… When I feel unsafe then my anxiety starts and headache and nausea... It's hard for me to calm down.  But I’m so thankful for those who work for the Elan Valley Project and the Visitor Centre. They always make my life very easy here… Especially Beth… Because of their attitude and their support, I have never had any discomfort. I have never felt any fear here.

I need to feel a blast of fresh air. I need to walk but not too far. I haven’t had any internet connection for the last three days. I have to check my messages but I don't want to… I’m worried about Pınar… She is constantly on my mind today. I decided to walk up the hill… I took the path up the hill and continued until the top… The wind started singing in my ears. The path is intersected by the other at the top of the opposite valley on the left. I know this path because we walked there with Andy. I feel comfortable… When I heard bip bip bip… I remember this point has a mobile signal… I had WhatsApp messages, I had an email, Facebook, twitter, Instagram messages...  I looked at them, it was too much for me at that moment…  I felt I can’t handle them… I felt a surge of anxiety… Two voices started an argument in my head…  You have to answer them. You must always answer people's messages as quickly as possible…   I didn’t want to…  It didn’t take too much…  I didn’t want to allow myself to argue with myself…   I wanted to stay in a peaceful and calm mindset. It’s too much.  I hate the internet… I hate social media… They make me anxious…  I took a deep breath. I only called Pınar and Andy. I wrote messages to my next guest and that’s it. I walked away as fast as I could.  Maybe it's the first time when I was able to ignore messages for a couple of days…

I had a guest. Beth... I like having her here. When I met her for the first time, I immediately warmed up to her. She is lovely, kind and trustworthy. Sometimes it is nice to see people. I discovered that I can easily become a wild woman who lives alone, talks to animals, and doesn't care about humanity.

I’m so busy editing the photos which Andy and I took. Especially trees… Changing photos and creating a totally different view… I love it… When I’m focusing on photos then I forget about eating, hours passing, reality… I hope at the end of my fellowship I’ll have exhibitions here…  Everybody is asking me how I feel after twelve days here… I’m so happy…

Today is the last day alone for me. Tomorrow Filiz is coming… She is my first guest. I’ll meet her in the Visitor Centre and the new chapter will start… I’m excited...

I sit down quietly
In the dark of the night
Listen to all the sounds around me
Wind, wood burner, rain, 
I don’t focus on any one sound
I try to hear them all
When my senses are unclogged
I become connected to all in nature...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I thought it was Menopause but it was Autism...

My feelings are knotted... Lost, eluding me always chasing them to understand,  not able to catch up. The darkness I can’t tell... sometimes I drowned,   I tire of running away. Living in turmoil... sometimes you enjoy, sometimes you fade away to sound... with sound... to words… with words... In all of this emotional turmoil, I noticed that I had put on weight, despite intermittent fasting and not eating more than usual and walking everyday. I started to swell constantly and had hot flashes. Suddenly, I was burning hot and sweating as if I had a shower. And my periods were starting to get delayed. It was the beginning of menopause. The menopause knocked on my door in the most complicated period of my life. It coincided with the news that in Turkey, farcical indictments had been brought demanding life sentences for 16 civil society leaders, including myself, in connection with the 2013 Gezi Park protests. This is an ongoing process. I was handling

Hiding myself...

No straight promises  No straight love No straight path No straight art There’s no path in life When walls block the way   You break through these walls Scramble through the woods When you find your path  You can understand Only your passion leads you In this cold rabbit hole In these Covid-19 days when everyone must stay at home, I am staying in Leamington. Early in lockdown, I felt hot and cold all over because I caught the coronavirus. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to overcome it without developing heavy symptoms or requiring hospitalisation. Although weeks have passed, I still feel tired and sluggish. It was a great shock for me to return to the real, hard-hearted world after peaceful Elan Valley, where I lived for two months in a happy dream with mindful self-compassion, and this shock later turned into a nightmare. It was very hard for me to understand how some people have a soul darker than a starless night. It makes me shudder to thi

After Wales...

Between trees hundreds of years old I was searching for my past  at the top of the mountain.  Within the shades of greens asking the rivers  watering the meadows. Speaking with lotus flowers lying on the river bed I  touched the rocks trying to understand what I missed.  I’m  hurt inside by the wind carrying my past Torrents fell from my eyes I thrust my head into the clouds confused, unable to breathe… not knowing what I missed. I’m hurt inside by the wind carrying my past Over the years I got used to living with illnesses and eccentricities. I had created a small world with very few people and I was struggling in that rarefied world. Until one day I came to Wales. Wales was the first place I felt I belonged. Wales became an obsession for me after I came to Brecon fifteen years ago for my English course. My biggest dream was to live in Wales one day... I dreamed the day would come... One day… However, in the space of one night, I ha

Dance with catastrophe

  I should do more  Nothing is enough.  More more more I never understand  What is enough When will I be enough Family,  Society,  Culture  Friends  More, more, more  I should give more… I should buy more I should do more I should feel more I never understand  What is enough When will I be enough More more more I lost everything I have nothing left  No more… No more… No more I get it I’m already enough… Enough is enough We are often told we should put ourselves in the shoes of others but walking in someone’s footsteps is not the same as getting inside their mind. I always thought I understood people but after all, I have faced, I don’t understand them at all…  I was in the depths of despair.  It’s a very uncomfortable feeling indeed. I was in the dark night, profoundly unsettled, seeing no way out. It pushed me to the edge of what is familiar and reliable, stretching my understanding of how life works and what controls it. The dark night forced me way beyond my capacity for pain but it

I could hear the Elan Valley calling for me...

Once you become alienated from your surroundings, slowly you’d become more introverted. You’d start searching for your desire to belong in Nature; starting on the mountains, spreading to the meadows, branching out the trees, and becoming a bridge between the melody of the culture you were not born to and yourself.  Nature determines the belonging on behalf of you and you take sanctuary in your new culture: not upsetting you; not betraying your trust; not making any surprises.  From then on, to belong would mean rhythm, and finds oneself in nature. When you can't find words, you learn the language of Nature. The wind, mountains,   rain, land… Everything started on Facebook. One night I was checking my Facebook page and one of my friends had shared information about the Elan Valley fellowship. Normally if it is some application there I always ignore it. It doesn’t matter what it is. But when I read about the fellowship and saw Elan Valley picture in spite of myself my heart

With Zehra...

I’m not a little girl who used to love walking, I'm not a little girl who beats the wind in the mountain. I'm not a little girl who easily cries I'm not a little girl whose colourful dreams were shattered... I try not to remember The weight of all your words I carry in my mind Zehra was my second guest. She is a kurdish painter who spent more than 2 years in jail in Turkey. I was a bit anxious because I didn’t know her personally before she came here. One week together, one to one… I haven’t got a car so we picked her up on Saturday night from Llanidloes with Filiz. Filiz went back to Swansea on Sunday and Sunday could have been my alone day… I have to clean the whole cottage and cook for my guest and enjoy it a bit by myself.  But this Sunday I was with Zehra. I woke up a bit early and I didn’t want to wake her up. I made the fire first, then started cleaning. Zehra had woken up now and on seeing me busy said “Why didn't you wake me

With Filiz...

Full of seedlings... Yearning for blue roses This path Opens our weaknesses  Like a song That remains Full of roses And dead silence Being reborn With every century  That inks into A new chapter (Filiz Çelik)