Skip to main content

Before Wales...
















Where do I belong?
Looking at  the reflection of my silent face in the mirror
not able to hear the answers in my silent tears
I asked myself a thousand times
at the top of the mountains
in the shadows of the trees
in the eyes of my mother
between the sentences of my father
  I asked myself a thousand times
Where do I belong?
to the village, I was born?
to the hills, I ran?
to the obscurity inside my genes?
I asked myself a thousand times
I couldn’t get a reply
I ripped and threw out my heart
erased my emotions
Hanging in the air.

I could never belong anywhere. The problem wasn't just about the country of my birth, I couldn’t belong to the culture I grew up in. I didn’t belong to my family. I never felt I belonged to a group of friends. I imagined that if I could feel connected or that I belonged somewhere, then everything would be solved.

I accepted that I couldn’t be an alien as I got older, but I was sure I couldn't be an earthling either. I felt myself trapped inside a cocoon woven of my unhappiness. I was a thing apart. Other people were strictly separate from me. I felt this separation keenly. This distinction was so clear in my childhood, as a young girl and even now it is the same… For years, I established a completeness in my inner world with all my broken fragments. I found a way to get used to these feelings of disconnection by surrendering and accepting.

In my childhood, there were packets of chewing gum containing toys produced using lenticular printing. This printing technique meant that they would change their colours and images when they move, and for me it seemed that people are like this lenticular printing process, constantly changing, constantly in flux and contradictory, lacking clarity.

I constantly observed, read, wrote, examined, researched to understand people, but I never fully understood. It was strange as I could read the faces people didn't show but I couldn't see the faces people presented. This caused me a lot of confusion. I would listen to people's words and choose to believe them every time and yet their behavior was contradictory and at odds with their words. The more I believe them the more I got lost. The more I became lost, the more I wanted to believe them, and the more I believed them, the more I lost myself I was forever trapped in this circle

My unexplained illnesses were endless. When one illness was cured another illness would begin. My diseases were like a chain that grows constantly. My headaches, diğestive problems, and insomnia became a part of me. It became normal for me to be medicated and taking various drugs. Three days healthy, one day sick. Neither I nor the doctors could find out why I was always sickly.

I’m incredibly straightforward and trustworthy. Say the word and its job done if I say it’s going to be done. No excuses, it’s impossible for me to break my word. And I always believe other people are like me and end up disappointed. Sometimes I believe I'm stupid as despite all the disappointments, even today I still believe what people tell me and I believe in the importance of keeping one's word.

 I am always searching for something. As I wander the narrow city streets, walking in the graveyards and in the parks, or moving on the waves of the sea, between the ancient trees, on the tops of mountains, between the shades of green in the valleys, along the ice-cold streams, and on the water lilies in the river beds... What am I longing for?

I remember my loud screams. The times when I hit the walls with my hands and shouted: “I am unhappy”. All my life I fought not to be a victim, realizing now that I am.

Was I guilty? I didn't know what I was supposed to do, what I needed to ask. It was as if I inhabited a glass lantern made of broken pieces, constraining me, cutting me. Broken glass, broken feelings...

I have always accepted cold facts and nothing else. In order to survive, in order to find a balance in me. For that reason, I have never complained but always fought. I learned to build a completeness from my broken fragments. Without expectation, motionless, distant, introverted. I drowned in words, definitions, tasks… I forgot my essence.

We lived in mansions with swimming pools, maids, chauffeurs... I had everything but something was always missing. Writing saved me from going mad, it was an outlet and it allowed me to explore beneath the surface, beyond the superficial, but I was banned, defamed, slandered because of my writing. I was writing the truth as I saw it, and that wasn't popular.


The pain is within me, in my veins, in my breath, in my eyes, possessing my tongue, my aching teeth… “You are in pain because you always grit your teeth!” The same thing I hear every time I go to the dentist with a dead tooth. The anger and pain gathered in my teeth… More building up within me and my belly.  If only enough pain was gathered inside me, I could just birth it and the pain would go away… Every day to be in as much pain as giving birth.

I created shadows. I played with shadows. I spoke with shadows. I took shelter in the shadows. As long as shadows shadowed the truth. I became what I didn’t know.

I’m “too” everything: too honest, too idealistic, too stubborn, too moral, too perfectionist, too serious, too ambitious, too emotional, too analytic, too much for other people. I always feel like a misfit.  I’m like a soldier. If responsibility is given, it will be fulfilled at a cost but…There is always a but,  I have always lived with but. But…  I tried to understand myself. My fearless stance. My endless analyzing. A part of me that I know well, another part of me that I’ve never known. I’m in pieces…

I learned to mask myself because I have always been judged. I have a lot of voices in my mind, ghosts of decades-old voices. Telling me how I should be…

“Do you really have to be so curious?”
 “Why don’t you try to be the same as everyone else?”
“A married woman wouldn’t write novels like yours.”
“You can’t ride a horse after 30”
 “You can’t learn how to play the piano after 40”
“No, you can’t dance on the streets”
“You’re a mother behave like one”
“You’re a writer, where has this idea of going pole dancing come from?”
“I don’t know if you’re clever or mad”
“You are this”
“You are that”
“You are…..


My soul always in pieces…
The puzzle is never completed
My hidden emotions suppressed desires….
 I seem quiet, distant, 
but there are screams inside me…
these screams are spreading 
everywhere inside me…
I don’t want to see them…
I don’t want to hear them…
I don’t want to show them...
Suppressed, pushed away…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I thought it was Menopause but it was Autism...

My feelings are knotted... Lost, eluding me always chasing them to understand,  not able to catch up. The darkness I can’t tell... sometimes I drowned,   I tire of running away. Living in turmoil... sometimes you enjoy, sometimes you fade away to sound... with sound... to words… with words... In all of this emotional turmoil, I noticed that I had put on weight, despite intermittent fasting and not eating more than usual and walking everyday. I started to swell constantly and had hot flashes. Suddenly, I was burning hot and sweating as if I had a shower. And my periods were starting to get delayed. It was the beginning of menopause. The menopause knocked on my door in the most complicated period of my life. It coincided with the news that in Turkey, farcical indictments had been brought demanding life sentences for 16 civil society leaders, including myself, in connection with the 2013 Gezi Park protests. This is an ongoing process. I was handling

Hiding myself...

No straight promises  No straight love No straight path No straight art There’s no path in life When walls block the way   You break through these walls Scramble through the woods When you find your path  You can understand Only your passion leads you In this cold rabbit hole In these Covid-19 days when everyone must stay at home, I am staying in Leamington. Early in lockdown, I felt hot and cold all over because I caught the coronavirus. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to overcome it without developing heavy symptoms or requiring hospitalisation. Although weeks have passed, I still feel tired and sluggish. It was a great shock for me to return to the real, hard-hearted world after peaceful Elan Valley, where I lived for two months in a happy dream with mindful self-compassion, and this shock later turned into a nightmare. It was very hard for me to understand how some people have a soul darker than a starless night. It makes me shudder to thi

I was enchanted...

This is time on my own.  This is an adventure.  I’m living in another world, In the world of nature… Success or failure means nothing  I’m living without any demands on me, I’ve got all my skills, I’ve got all my energy, I’m relaxed, It doesn’t matter whether I win or lose... Able to live without critical voices...  I’m alone… My new home… In nature… Everybody left but I didn’t feel sad. I’m alone... I don’t have to do anything… Without “have to” or “should do” I don’t know how I'll live… After everybody had gone, I cleaned and tidied up the house. I’m alone…  I listened to the radio but after one hour even the radio was too much for me. I turned it off.… I made a cup of tea… It was very unusual for me because I don’t like coffee or tea but I really wanted to drink a cup of tea while listening to the voice of the wood burner. I felt fantastic. I was free to be confused and be no one... I was enchanted. I’m alone… I adore my new cottage, of course

After Wales...

Between trees hundreds of years old I was searching for my past  at the top of the mountain.  Within the shades of greens asking the rivers  watering the meadows. Speaking with lotus flowers lying on the river bed I  touched the rocks trying to understand what I missed.  I’m  hurt inside by the wind carrying my past Torrents fell from my eyes I thrust my head into the clouds confused, unable to breathe… not knowing what I missed. I’m hurt inside by the wind carrying my past Over the years I got used to living with illnesses and eccentricities. I had created a small world with very few people and I was struggling in that rarefied world. Until one day I came to Wales. Wales was the first place I felt I belonged. Wales became an obsession for me after I came to Brecon fifteen years ago for my English course. My biggest dream was to live in Wales one day... I dreamed the day would come... One day… However, in the space of one night, I ha

Dance with catastrophe

  I should do more  Nothing is enough.  More more more I never understand  What is enough When will I be enough Family,  Society,  Culture  Friends  More, more, more  I should give more… I should buy more I should do more I should feel more I never understand  What is enough When will I be enough More more more I lost everything I have nothing left  No more… No more… No more I get it I’m already enough… Enough is enough We are often told we should put ourselves in the shoes of others but walking in someone’s footsteps is not the same as getting inside their mind. I always thought I understood people but after all, I have faced, I don’t understand them at all…  I was in the depths of despair.  It’s a very uncomfortable feeling indeed. I was in the dark night, profoundly unsettled, seeing no way out. It pushed me to the edge of what is familiar and reliable, stretching my understanding of how life works and what controls it. The dark night forced me way beyond my capacity for pain but it

I could hear the Elan Valley calling for me...

Once you become alienated from your surroundings, slowly you’d become more introverted. You’d start searching for your desire to belong in Nature; starting on the mountains, spreading to the meadows, branching out the trees, and becoming a bridge between the melody of the culture you were not born to and yourself.  Nature determines the belonging on behalf of you and you take sanctuary in your new culture: not upsetting you; not betraying your trust; not making any surprises.  From then on, to belong would mean rhythm, and finds oneself in nature. When you can't find words, you learn the language of Nature. The wind, mountains,   rain, land… Everything started on Facebook. One night I was checking my Facebook page and one of my friends had shared information about the Elan Valley fellowship. Normally if it is some application there I always ignore it. It doesn’t matter what it is. But when I read about the fellowship and saw Elan Valley picture in spite of myself my heart

With Zehra...

I’m not a little girl who used to love walking, I'm not a little girl who beats the wind in the mountain. I'm not a little girl who easily cries I'm not a little girl whose colourful dreams were shattered... I try not to remember The weight of all your words I carry in my mind Zehra was my second guest. She is a kurdish painter who spent more than 2 years in jail in Turkey. I was a bit anxious because I didn’t know her personally before she came here. One week together, one to one… I haven’t got a car so we picked her up on Saturday night from Llanidloes with Filiz. Filiz went back to Swansea on Sunday and Sunday could have been my alone day… I have to clean the whole cottage and cook for my guest and enjoy it a bit by myself.  But this Sunday I was with Zehra. I woke up a bit early and I didn’t want to wake her up. I made the fire first, then started cleaning. Zehra had woken up now and on seeing me busy said “Why didn't you wake me

With Filiz...

Full of seedlings... Yearning for blue roses This path Opens our weaknesses  Like a song That remains Full of roses And dead silence Being reborn With every century  That inks into A new chapter (Filiz Çelik)